Our R66 coach rollover rig was instrumental in the first virtual testing approach for coach rollover, approved by the UK Government. The regulation has been adopted by EU member states to improve safety by providing a safe zone within a vehicle during rollover.
The rig consists of a tilting platform 0.8m above the ground and is used to carry out full-scale bus rollover tests which conform to the ECE Regulation 66. It accommodates both whole vehicles and partial bay sections, as required by R66.
The tilting of the platform is operated using a crane, which ensures a well-controlled, smooth motion. The coach is then free to topple off with the platform once its centre of gravity over-balances the pivot position.
- Maximum vehicle wheelbase 8m
- Unlimited overhang of vehicles permitted above 8m
- Maximum carriage weight 15 T
- Tilt mechanism operated by mechanical crane.
- Vehicles can be lifted or driven onto rig
- High speed camera options, including tracking
- Instrumentation of vehicles
- Design and fabrication of surrogate masses for coaches
- Testing in a secure environment.
Typical applications include:
- Whole coaches to Regulation 66
- Military vehicles
- Sub sections of vehicles
- Automotive including light commercial vehicles.